QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

1st My fave books of this year: Fiction

The Imperfectionists - Tom Rachman

A series of short stories, all about a little period of time in the lives of various *imperfect* people. Like Daniel Clowes, he's often writing about social misfits, and draws you in and makes you care about them. What I really admired, though, was how well he draws characters! A couple pages into each story the characters are already 3 dimensional. And he pulled it off chapters after chapter. Great writing. English-Canadian author.

(Ooh he has a short story on amazon as a kindle single. Gonna get that!)

Superficialities: I love this cover. I'm sure it's part of what persuaded me to plunge in and buy.


Un petit pas pour l'homme - Stéphane Dompierre

Like High Fidelity --> guy working in indie record store, and his relationship problems. But I found it funnier and more charming than Hornby's book. I liked the protagonist more.


Superficialities: French book covers in general are truly wretched. I don't know if it's because it's a smaller market, so there's less money? Or publishing conventions from France. A different aesthetic. I can't stand it.

No comments:

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}