QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

2nd My fave books this year: Graphic novels

Read a lot of these this year! I couldn't even pick one as my top fave, cause these ones below are wonderful for different reasons.
Fun Home - Alison Bechdel

Memoir of a young woman around college age, coming out, dealing with her family and the secrets her parents had, etc. Just superbly drawn and interesting and touching. American author.

Burma Chronicles - Guy Delisle
 Delisle lives in other countries and cartoons about his time there. As these are usually usually non-democracies (North Korea, China, Burma) it's super interesting! Though his next one will be Israel and I'm sure it will be great too. I read it in English, but it's originally in French. Quebec author.

Aya #3 - Marguerite Abouet, illustrated by Clément Oubrerie

Series about a young woman in an Ivory Coast village, and her buddies. It was in number 3 that I really got hooked, wish my library would get books 4 and 5! I read it in French, but it's available in English (though not books 4 or 5, yet.) Ivorian-French writer, French illustrator, published in Quebec.

Ice Haven - Daniel Clowes

Clowes writes touchingly about social misfits. Ice Haven's my fave--I love how all these disparate stories feed into each other. And I love how he changes his drawing style, as though a variety of authors are illustrating his works (à la American Splendor). American author.

Paul series by Michel Rabagliati

I read 3 of these (just added one to Goodreads which I missed!) Loved loved loved. It's about a man in his 30s thinking back to his youth--each bande dessinée represents a different period. One from his summer job as a camp counselor, one about his first apartment w/ girlfriend, etc. They're funny, charming, the character is SO real, the drawings are beautiful, and in the end they're touching. I read them (the first three) in French, but the whole series exists in English. Quebec author.

  

No comments:

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}