QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Monday, December 12, 2011

Winter Albums in 2011

Well it's time to compile my best of books and music lists. I also tracked which movies I watched, on IMDB, so I can do movies too.

I usually do a Favorite Christmas Music but I'm purposely not buying much, not trolling iTunes in my usual fashion. (If you don't shop, you aren't tempted to spend money.) But I have some rather thorough previous lists, if you're interested. And if you love a song, but have no movies, use zamzar to lift it off youtube (if available.)

I've only bought two wintry albums and haven't imbibed them enough to give reviews. But here's a song from each...



Hawksley Workman's Full Moon Eleven


Here's his excellent cover of Bruce Cockburn's "On the Coldest Night of the Year". I like it better than the original. I just uploaded it, and apologize if it disappears or something.



Kate Bush's 50 Words for Snow


Here's a song from the point of view of a snowflake. Ya... cause that's the way she rolls.



Speaking of Kate Bush, I only recently discovered that she released another album this year: Director's Cut. It's basically a bunch of covers of her songs... by her. It's really good! Here's the official video for "Deeper Understanding" starring Robbie Coltrane.


And it seems her youtube page also released a bunch of old videos I've never seen.
Just being alive, it can really hurt
These moments given, are a gift from time

   
I had a head cold this weekend, so this post is about all I can muster. Off to bed now...
   

2 comments:

widdershins said...

Hope you is feeling better soon ... drink lots of water...

Interesting short story about the monkeys ... just goes to show, money can't buy love 'specially when you try to purchase it from monkeys!

I've enjoyed Kate Bush since way-back-when ... nice to know she's still strutting her stuff.

London Mabel said...

Nice of you to read the story :-) I'd forgotten I read it years ago, until the monkeys showed up!

Kate Bush's last album was still quite good, and so far this one looks promising.

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}