QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Monday, December 19, 2011

The Best of Mabeltalk 2011!

Alright, it's time for annual lists. I've never done this before, but I'm going to look back at The Year In my own blog. Not a summary, cause that would be weird. But just a highlight from each month.

The shocking thing is, I can't believe I wrote these things this year. They feel like a million years ago. One thing I learned this year: Depression, for me, makes time speed up. I keep thinking that things that happened in May happened in 2010 or 2009.

So here we go... 2011 Bloggy Highlights

Last December

A freak snowstorm confirms Sting's claim that we're not alone at being alone.

January

My Political Correctness series. I finally got sick and tired of white people saying "Well we don't get offended when people make fun of us!" And also "Everyone's so sensitive these days" whenever someone suggested they act with a modicum of respect for other people.

February

A tribute to Fernando's foster parents. They had a tough year--he had both legs amputated because of diabetes complications, and at one point they were both in the hospital. But last I saw on facebook, they were still hugging and kissing at their 50th anniversary party.

March

My Joseph Campbell viewing-your-life-as-a-hero's-journey post. Cause I felt there were a lot of us this year who needed to the encouragement. ...Still the case, unfortunately!

April

I posted my first cartoon, to the theme of Choose Life.

May

I made a commitment to Imperfection.

And said farewell to my Trivial Buttonhole blog.


June

Lessons from Magneto, Mystique and Malcolm X in pride. (Who taught you to hate yourself?)

But also I saw Prince for the first time, and so: 10 Lessons I Learned from Prince.

July

A wedding saved me the weekend Amy Winehouse and many Norway kids died.

August

A week of posts about optimism, which led (by the way) to Ms Brownlow sending me stories about Oliver teh Cat and Chloe.

September

We began the story of guess who!

October

Some good simple advice.

November

I hate on "successful" people.


Sidelights from A Trivial Buttonhole:

Minion and I battle the ants.
Hyperbole's revised pain chart.
Better Book Titles.



Bonus: My exclusive holiday fashion guide from last year!

No comments:

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}