QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Once more unto the play, dear friend!

First:



Now the post. I put subheadings so you can skip around.

Gilmabelfest Background
For the last two years, bestie Gilby and I stopped buying each other presents, and instead I went down to Toronto and we saw shows. Because he loves shows, but is always too busy to go; and I love shows, but I just never go to any. And he's good at making me get out and do stuff, and I'm good at organizing. So I organize the whole weekend, and he does the driving and entertains me.

In 2009 we saw The Importance of Being Earnest, Cyrano de Bergerac, and West Side Story. His first intro to Oscar Wilde, whom he loved.


In 2010 we saw a small musical called [title of show] (which is great, if you ever see your local college or theatre putting it on), and Evita, and An Ideal Husband. --> My fave Wilde play, which he also loved! So we've decided to see all 5 of Wilde's plays, in our lifetime. Still have Salomé, Lady Windermere's Fan, and A Woman of No Importance.


2011
But we didn't go this year. First I didn't want to spend the money in Unemployment Time, but he offered to pay for all the plays (he usually pays more anyway, cause he likes front section seats). So then I suggested we go in summer cause he's doing an MBA, so I thought the fall would be too busy. But he said no, we should go in the fall. So then I was waiting to get a date from him, and never heard anything! Until I got a text from him that he was in Italy.

?? lol I have no idea what happened. But no biggie. There weren't any plays I was *dying* to see. I've missed his last couple calls, but he'll be in town next week so we'll see what's up. I mean, we'll see anything well reviewed, we're open; but no heartache was involved.

2012
But... I just got my 2012 Stratford Festival catalog... and as I stood by my mailbox I looked at the cover and fainted.

HENRY V!! THEY'RE PUTTING ON HENRY V!!

Weeeeeee!!!! It had better be good. I can't tell you how many times I've seen the Branagh version, and I've seen the Olivier as well. And of course, it's the basis of my next novel.

HENRY V!!!!

And Much Ado About Nothing, which is of course everyone's favorite Shakes comedy, right? It's like Branagh season or something. And there I was last year saying at some point we ought to see a Shakespeare.


They're also putting on Elektra, which maybe Gilby will want to see--he studied classics.

The Shaw Festival, which is nearby, is playing His Girl Friday...

and Shaw's The Millionairess. 


Hell we might need to see 5 plays! (Okay maybe that's a bit hectic... but tempting.)

    

3 comments:

widdershins said...

On Christmas Eve Mrs Widdershins and I are putting on our best bibs and tuckers and are off to see La Cage Aux Folles. Drag queens, show tunes, and dinner afterwards. Now, that's a Christmas to remember!

London Mabel said...

Fantastico! Now that's a fun Christmas idea.

sbobet said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}