QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Friday, December 23, 2011

How cold IS it? (news of me update)

1. Wanna know how cold it can get in Montreal in the winter? Check out this post from 2009:



2. So far we've had no snow this year, that stayed on the ground. Gonna be a brown winter--though today we got freezing rain.

3. Finished my gig working for my pallio at the Salon. She gave me some lovely vegan chocolates as a thank-you! And the lady next to her, for whom I did a few hours, let me pick out a pair of earrings. And I had just been eying a little green set. None of these artisans are rolling in the dough, so I was quite touched. What lovely boss ladies I had! And the other chickies around me were cool too. Will have to post about them later.

4. Speaking of veganism, I've been a vegan for about 10 years? But I decided to downgrade to vegetarian just for the month of December. It's been a rough year, and whenever Fernando had junk food in the house, even if it had some milk or egg ingredient in it, I starting *caving* and eating them. I finally decided: Well if I'm going to unveganize, let's give 'er.

So for this one month I've been buying every food that I used to like, esp stuff that's hard to replace taste-wise: Doritos, tsatziki, donuts, chip dip (I've never been able to make a satisfactory vegan dill dip... maybe cause I'm too afraid to experiment with my nice vegan cream cheese, so I use other crap). And then there's stuff that I can make super vegan versions of, but I just haven't had it in me to cook this year --> so store brand shortbread cookies, and these cookies that are like peanut butter cups. "Menoum menoum" as my francophone stepmother would say.

I do think about the poor battery cage hens, though. So I'm pretty confident I'll be able to veganize again in January--my sad-i-tude will get me back in line. But I don't feel very guilty cause I'm into the veganesque thing for the long haul. I'm a pragmatist--I'll do what I need, to make this something I can do long haul.*

Anyway, so this month I've been eating like CRAP. Waaaay more junk food than I normally eat, and milky foods tend to be higher in fat than vegan equivalents. And I just don't care. I refuse to beat myself up over this orgy of excess.

I'm going to (try to) save my vegan chocolates for when I revert in January. Mind, I'll probably still have Ovaltine left cause I only remembered it on my Nonvegan List today, and there were no small jars!

5. Minion's discovered the ladybugs! Gulp.

___________
* I should explain my veganeque-a-tude. ...I'll make a tab or something. Will let you know.

4 comments:

Simone said...

I'm doing it too!! At this rate, I won't live to see 2012 I am being SUCH a pig!

But I love it. Back on track in January... but in the meantime: BRING IT ON!

But do me a favour: next time you do this, tell me first so I can have you over for fondue!!!!!

widdershins said...

Moderation in all things ... even moderation. 'Tis the season to indulge!

ladada said...

re: "I do think about the poor battery cage hens" ... I'm thankful our local grocery stores stock Free Range eggs. I hope they are as advertised. The eggshells have varied shades of brown, and the shells are harder to break open - like maybe the chicken is healthier and producing healthier eggs!!??

Yes, an occaisional one will have a blood spot, so we know there's a rooster in there somewhere. (I Scramble those ones really good).... but this is what 'real' eggs were always like on the farm. It's like the Joni Mitchell anti-DDT song: "You can spoil some apples, but leave me the birds and the bees - please!!"

Also re butter - I find I'm adjusted easily to Earthbalance replacement and it's just fine. No vitamin D added like with margarine, and less fatty than butter.

Enjoy your festival of food!

London Mabel said...

Simone - I did consider letting you know in re restaurant options, but then I thought: well I'm still trying to watch my money! ...It didn't occur to me you could just have me over at YOUR place. ;-)

Widder - well said!

dad - Ya Earthbalance is good. Except all these margarines are made in part with palm oil, which apparently is killing the orangutans. So it may not be ethically better than butter. Hapoo!

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}