QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Christmas Songs Roundup 2011!


When I last reported in on Christmas Music 2011, I had recommended the new Kate Bush, and Hawksley Workman, but otherwise hadn't discovered anything. But my dad offered to buy me an album for Christmas so off I went through iTunes. In the end I asked him for this awful Prince symphonic cover album, which I hope youtube will let me share with you soon. And then bought myself a couple of the ones below (zamzarred others.)

So here we are: Not the best Cmas songs of all time, but the best ones I discovered this year (I own over 700 Christmas songs.) And for the record, I include winter songs as part of "Christmas music."

If you don't see a video, it's cause one wasn't available.

UNDERSTATED

Breath of Heaven - Oleta Adams - Perfect singer for this song. She emotes, but the arrangement is quiet. No drama.


Jingle Bell Jamboree - Keb Mo


In the Bleak Midwinter - Loreena McKennitt


Ô traineau dans le ciel - Maryse Letarte


December - Regina Spektor


A Change at Christmas (Say It Isn't So) - The Flaming Lips

In the Bleak Midwinter - Bryn Terfel

Christmas Eve - Spirit of the West



BOMBASTIC

Another Lonely Christmas - Prince


Better Days - The Goo Goo Dolls


Carol of the Bells - The Mormon Tabernacle Choir



POPPY

Mistress Claud - Alyssa Red


Christmas Without You - Onerepublic


Last Christmas - Britt Nicole


This Time of Year - Nikki and Rich


PLAYFUL

Baby It's Cold Outside - Meaghan Smith and Buck 65 - Best part of this: The woman is the one making the come ons.

 
The Cowboys' Christmas Ball - The Killers


Last Christmas - The Puppini Sisters


The Chipmunk Song - Tegan and Sarah


And brother's choice: Sleigh Ride, from The Ventures' Christmas Album



FYI
Mariah Carey's "All I Want for Christmas is You" continued to dominate the holiday charts, as it has every other year. This year she's in two spots, because there's a duet version with Bieber. The rest of the list (iTunes Canada) is all Bieber and Bublé.


* The first A Very Special Christmas album seems to have entered classic status. As well it ought! In those days they got big artists for these albums, but over the years the series turned into pop crap.

  

PREVIOUS CHRISTMAS MUSIC POSTS

Fairy song
2010 Roundup
That crazy Dylan album
"There's Still My Joy"
Tori Amos' Christmas album
Annie Lennox's Christmas album
Joan Osborne's Christmas album

2009 Roundup (aka Broadway cares but I don't)

No 2008! ??

2007 Roundup

2006 Roundup

2 comments:

Judie said...

I will have to look at these tonight when I get home -- or later if my boss leaves. ;)

London Mabel said...

Yes don't get fired over Christmas songs. ;-)

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}