QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Saturday, December 31, 2011

A Humany-wumany Christmas

On Christmas Eve the Space channel showed a whole bunch of Dr Who Christmas specials. (Having special Christmas editions of TV shows is a particularly British thing--they're often longer than an hour, have special guest actors etc.)

A man running around Victorian London calling himself the Doctor! Wha? Wha?


I taped the Dr Who ones and we watched them over two days. They were SO GOOD. I'd heard that the new series was great, and sampled it a couple times, but now I'm ready to be hooked baby!

The Master! And Time Lords!!

When the series was rebooted in 2005 I watched the first episode or so, but was underwhelmed, so I didn't continue. By the time it got great I was in school and didn't have time to watch. (Same reason why I didn't get beyond season 1 with Battlestar Galactica, even though I was loving it.)

Lion, Witch & Wardrobe inspired, so WWII setting - which always makes me weepy!

What's so great about the new Dr Whos is that they're a wonderful combination of imagination, action adventure, strange creatures and robots, humor, and sadness. They're very touching--or "humany wumany" as the latest Dr would say. In fact, they're very much like Connie Willis' books.

A well done play on A Christmas Carol.

I loved them all, but my favorite one took place on a spaceship with a Titanic storyline. If I'd been alone I probably would have let it all go and wept buckets, like I did watching the movie Starbuck (no relation to Battlestar G.) But I didn't want the husbando staring at me, so I just wept a couple silent tears into the non-vegan cheesies, and blew my nose a bit.


It also had a good joke about London's inhabitants all fleeing for the countryside at Christmastime, because every Christmas there's some sort of alien disaster (that is to say, all the previous Christmas specials.)

Hope you guys enjoyed your Christmases too. :-)
  

4 comments:

Judie said...

My husband loves Dr. Who - I need to sit down and watch one. They do sound like fun.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE me some Dr. Who.

London Mabel said...

I'm gonna start watching the series, once all the holiday tv is over. While they do refer to some older events, I was able to follow the holiday specials without having watched any of the new series. I think it's something you can jump into.

widdershins said...

Happy New Year Mabel!

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}