QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Are Immigrants TV's New "Coons" ?

So I think there's a new trend that I'm gonna have to go ahead and dislike.

I'm sure many of you have seen the show The Big Bang Theory, which features 4 geek friends. One is an Indian scientist named Raj, and a good number of the jokes surrounding him focus on his Indianness. But he's still smart, he's not any sillier than Wolowitz or Leonard, and when drunk is pretty successful with the ladies. And the Wolowitz character is far more stereotyped, in terms of his Jewishness. So... let's say we give it a pass.

But this evening I decided to tune into two shows I'd never seen before: Franklin and Bash, an American law dramedy; and Mr D, a new Canadian sitcom. And they both had a Southeast Asian Ha Ha The Funny Asian character. Though the shows are from different countries, different genres.

The one on F&B was Pindar, a sci fi nerd working for the two (white) heroes. He was the episode's clown.


The one on Mr D was the school janitor, about whom the big joke was he talks unintelligibly. He was a mega-clown. (Eg. Showing up to a bar in sequined disco slacks, and an orange shirt, tucked in over a big belly, and then dancing away, flirting with the ladies, etc.)



I couldn't believe it--two in one night.

I don't know if Big Bang Theory started the trend, or if this is part of the larger trend of "ethnic comedy" amongst stand-ups. I'm not against ethnic comedy since it's usually done by the Ethnic Person in Question, though there's the whole question of Are people laughing because they get the satire, or because they think it's true? (It's something that made my Jewish friend uncomfortable halfway through Borat, and it's one of the reasons Chappelle stopped his show. Given that Jeff Dunham* is the third most popular comedian in the US, I think Chappelle and my friend have something.)
Dunhams' José
But this oh-the-funny-Indian-accented-guy in the context of regular television is what's referred to amongst African-Americans as a "coon" character. A 21st century version, which plays on our perception of immigrants as these incomprehensible buffoons with funny accents.

   

The issue goes beyond the character being represented in a stereotypical manner. The humor is often derived from the character daring to be something he so obviously couldn't be, like a good dancer, or a ladies' man. (A ladies' man with that accent? Oh please! Ha ha ha it's so funny.) The real nub of the situation is best summed up by a line from Spike Lee's Bamboozled

"The network does not want to see Negroes on television unless they are buffoons."


My first school year in Quebec was in a special class for learning French, so all my friends were immigrants. My best friends were two interesting, intelligent Pakistani sisters, each completely different from the other, and not fitting any stereotype. My classmates were from every corner of the globe, and none were Weird Funny Foreigners.

Yes, sometimes when people speak in a second language / with an accent, it's funny. When we moved to Quebec our francophone step-relatives laughed at my brother and I all the time, for reasons we could never quite figure out. And when my brother's Indian father-in-law stopped taking photos at the wedding because "you are a silly bunch" it was funny. But there's a difference between someone who's occasionally funny, and reducing someone's culture to a joke.

Incidentally these characters tonight reminded me of the Latino immigrant played by Oscar Nunez of The Office in movie The Proposal. So maybe the new Stepin Fetchit will be multicultural. ...Yaaay.


__________
*Like most comedians, Dunham claims he's an equal opportunity insulter. But then admits that he doesn't go after the Christian Values jokes because he was raised on them, and it's the majority of his constituency. ...So there goes that excuse.

          
       

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's one cringe for me in the new CBC series I wanted to like, Artic Air. They have a copilot wannabe character who is pretty much a stereotypical Indian/Paki? ... dots not feathers ... complete with the "funny accent." Funny thing is, the men I worked with in aviation, of Indian heritage, mainly spoke with very cultured British accents because they'd been educated in England. Take that stereo-type castwriter!!

I think there is a bit of open season on cultural stereotypes coming about lately. Partly due to a "political correctness" backlash, and partly related to the success of comedians like Russel Peters ... ??? (Whose TV Christmas show stank so badly I couldn't watch it after 20 minutes or so...) too bad. I fear Russel may be just a one-joke wonder? We'll see.

ladada

London Mabel said...

I thought of that pilot as well, but he didn't come off so completely bad in the pilot, so I held off criticism. (I thought his knowledge of the bombers offset the silliness actor a bit.) I didn't see episode 2 tonight.

I think you're right about the backlash against PCness being part of it.

CiCi said...

Thx for id'ing something that had been giving me "the cringes" for a while. I thought it was just a left-over of my unie PC'ness (try saying that one 5 x quickly), where one sees an insult in everything.

BarbN said...

I love Big Bang Theory, but I have to admit the way Raj's character is treated has given me pause on more than one occasion. I laugh, and then I think, wait a minute-- was that OK? especially when his character's sister is also on the show. There's also a really funny/cringe-causing moment in the first Transformers movie involving a phone support call from a guy who is in the middle of a firefight in Qatar. I laughed, because who hasn't called some support line somewhere and ended up talking to someone across a huge cultural divide? But I also cringed, because it's hardly their fault that some American mega-corporation has farmed out all of its tech support to countries where the cost of labor is cheaper. And then there we are in a big mega-bucks American movie, laughing at them. You're right, it's a growing problem.

London Mabel said...

@CiCi - I try to not be overly "sensitive" with my PCatude, but seeing it twice in one night really crystallized it!

@Barb - I feel the same way when watching BBT.

Ojibwe Confessions said...

This type of "ethnic" humour is really part of television. You want to see it in action, take a look a the majority of Kids shows coming out of Disney and other programming. In these shows the Black kids are always over the top geeky, clumsy, or whatever, even if they are the "star:" of the show.
That's so Raven, Ned's school, etc.
There is also one with this young Black man/youth who is overweight and always doing dumb stuff. Even adults in the shows are shown as clowns.

London Mabel said...

Hmm you're right! The geeky character is fine when he's cast with other characters of the same ethnicity, representing a spectrum of personalities, rather than the minority character. Like Carlton on Fresh Prince, or Alvin on Cosby, or Leonard (Billy Merasty) on Moose TV. And they were all side characters, not the stars.

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}