QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

There are no whites in this movie? $*#&$!!

Saw an interesting interview with George Lucas about his new production, Red Tails, about the Tuskeegee Airmen (all black fighter pilots in WWII.) He flatly admitted that the movie is very "jingoistic," patriotic, "old fashioned," "corny" because he wanted a movie for boys--to show them African-American patriots who made a real contribution to America. Lucas said he and those working on the film had to keep reminding themselves that they wanted to portray these men as heroes, not as victims.

He's been trying to get the movie made for 23 years. He financed it himself, but couldn't find a studio to promote it, because there are no major white roles. (He said even Tyler Perry movies go to not-major distributors.)

He consulted 40 of the airmen, and looking it up on wiki I see it has African-American screenwriters and director. He said if there's a strong enough opening weekend, he wants to make a movie about the airmen in training, and postwar when they were among the people starting the civil rights movement. He says those will be the good movies (and I agree!)

Don't know if it will succeed in these ways,  but kudos to the effort. And how necessary the effort is, considering the unbelievably racist comments to this trailer (against both black and Jewish people.)



     

5 comments:

Delia said...

Oh, that looks like a good movie. And the comments on this trailer are exactly why I don't read comment threads anymore (unless they're on writer's blogs, those are generally more reasonable). I can't abide such willful ignorance and blatant stupidity and I refuse to subject myself to it anymore.

The film looks gorgeous. I'll have to let Magnum know it's on the way (he's a WWII buff, this is right up his alley).

Monica Stecher said...

I for one would love to see this movie. I hope he has interviews with the real survivors of the war.

Judy,Judy,Judy. said...

I generally don't like war movies but this one looks good.
I'm surrounded by bigots hiding behind political correctness or sometimes not. I'm not gonna subject myself to the comment thread.

Robena Grant said...

This is the type of movie I'd line up to see. I hadn't heard about it so thanks for the find.

London Mabel said...

@everyone - And armed with the Lucas interview, even if it turns out a bit too "Hollywood" and overly patriotic, we'll know why! lol

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}