QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

From zombies to orphans: Fave Rewatches of 2011

Okay, I've got to keep getting my Best Of lists posted. This year I tracked the movies I'd watched so I could add film to my book and music lists. (Sure I forgot some.)

Movies I rewatched this year, and still enjoyed.

Oldies
My boys, the Marx Brothers... 
that horrifying Baby Jane which I can never resist watching.. 
and yes, I like Shirley Temple.

Historicals
Much Ado About Nothing... 
George Sand chasing Chopin around in Impromptu... 
and the wonderful Cranford.

 Romances



Comedies
Ooh Trading Places and State and Main are two of my all-time faves!



Action Comedies
Hot Fuzz! It's so brilliant, so well done.

Dramedies
Two great movies by Arcand, my fave Woody Allen, and good ole Love, Actually.


Music 
I don't even remember watching Sign O the Times. But it's in IMDB! Purple Rain I do remember because I watched it a couple times.

 Fantasy - Sci Fi
Galaxy Quest is frankly brilliant.



Horror
Another movie I have to watch when it's on TV. Eek! Similar to Baby Jane in that it's one person keeping another trapped in a home, torturing them. Eek!



Docudrama
About the Oka Crisis. Not a great movie, but a good portrayal of what happened, and all the politicking.



Guilty Pleasures
I love the dumb roommates in Head Over Heels. And I practiced my French by watching yea aulde Thornbirds! O the drama of it all!



6 comments:

widdershins said...

I've seen 10 of the oldies ... Dustin Hoffman in drag, priceless ... Bon Cop, Bad Cop - hilarious ... Hannah and her Sisters, scary last piece of dialogue ... of course, the purple one! ... Sigourney, blonde and unzippered, ... will not watch Misery, even for Kathy Bates ... Richard Chaimberlain before that awful facelift ...

...a truly inspired collection Miss Mabel

Judie said...

Wow that is quite the list.

Some I've seen and really like - the others I'll have to put on a list and when DH says "What do you want to see?" I can pull out a list and say, "Pick one." ahaha That will surprise him!!

Kris said...

I remember watching Shriley Temple films with my Nan when I was little.
Great movie collection.

Simone said...

Thornbirds!! Ahhhh... and why no Mistral's Daughter?

London Mabel said...

Most of these were just taped off tv this year, when I noticed they were playing. ...I don't go to the movies much so all my "Best Movies of 2011" are never really from 2011!


Simone - There's a French channel that plays a movie every day at 2PM. It's usually thrillers, but for a few days it was Les Oiseaux qui se cachent pour mourir! No Mistral's Daughter alas. Though it might be on youtube.

Skye said...

I've actually seen "The Decline of the American Empire", years ago when it first came out and was running the indie film circuit. I saw it at my college (in between stints actually in school). It was a kind of date and I and my date were both very embarrassed by seeing such intimate stuff with someone we didn't know well. Then I, at least, got into the movie and forgot about being embarrassed. It's good but sad. I think about it every once in awhile.

I, too, rewatched Arsenic and Old Lace last year!

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}