QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Friday, January 13, 2012

Tuba Prince! (A comedic interlude)

The other night I was scanning itunes and came across a symphonic tribute to Purple Rain, with such hilarious arrangements that I have to consider this one of the great comedy albums of all time. My dad bought it for me, for Christmas.

I kept sending my brother samples of it from itunes, and of "Let's Go Crazy" he wrote: "I feel like I am walking through Manhattan with Harpo to the Algonquin Club as the opening credits roll!"

Harpo Marx (center back) with Dorothy Parker & other Algonquins.

Even though the song "The Beautiful Ones" was originally a piano based song, and therefore entirely within the range of a symphonic tribute without much alteration. But they chose a Hawaiian guitar for the melody line. Horrifically genius!

Here's two of the songs (and their originals in case you need the comparison.)






Darling Nikki... you just don't expect a song about a "sex fiend" who masturbates in hotel lobbies to be interpreted on the tuba. Bold. Very bold.



No comments:

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}