QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Love Scenes: One of my favorites

I've been re-watching Sex and the City in reruns, on the Cosmo channel. This post has spoilers, though I'm guessing everyone who wanted to see it has already seen it. But if you don't want to Be Spoiled, well you can still sample this pretty song. ;-)



I remembered disliking Carrie in the last season, especially when she went to Paris--her Dream of a Lifetime City--and acted like a big baby because the man she was with didn't pay enough attention to her. I know what it's like to visit one's Dream City (mine was London) and if I'd gone with a boyfriend I would have been ignoring him. "Sorry I can't have dinner, I gotta go find Oscar Wilde's house and the club where the Marquess of Queensbury delivered his somdomite note!" The character's a diva. Though I love her clothes.

Rewatching earlier seasons, I see I disliked her much sooner than that. The storylines I find touching or romantic are usually with Samantha, Miranda and Charlotte. I especially like the story of Charlotte falling in with a man even though he's not her physical ideal--bald, hairy Harry who eats with his mouth open. But who is sweet, kind, easygoing, and adores her.

This is my fave scene: He's broken up with her cause she said some cruel things when pressuring him to marry her; but now she's miserable without him and just isn't interested in other men. This is at a Jewish single's meetup:



Now that's a better Reconciliation Scene than most romance movies. Shniff. Shniff.

   

6 comments:

widdershins said...

"I am so coming back next week!" ... priceless!

London Mabel said...

They must have been inspired by "I'll have what she's having" from When Harry Met Sally. :-D

Judy,Judy,Judy. said...

I had a like/dislike feeling for Carrie. In her defense in Paris her lover did pressure her to ditch her fan party and support him. Then he ditched her. Course I wouldn't have been swayed from my own fan party or if I was I'd a left as soon as he turned his back.

I did like the Mr Big rescue, though.

Megan Coakley said...

A beautiful song! I love instrumentals because there are no leading lyrics--you're free to go where your mind takes you.

I had a love/hate relationship with "Sex and the City," but I remember that scene. I found it even more touching now.

BarbN said...

Believe it or not, that's the first time I've ever seen more than about a 5 second flash of Sex and the City. What a lovely scene. Maybe I'll have to watch it. When my life isn't covered over in boxes. :-)

London Mabel said...

@JJJ - Well and she should have been out touring and seeing all the thing she'd dreamed of!

@Megan - I so love that song.

@Barb - It's not up there with my favorite series, but it has some good humor. Great clothes, of course!

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}