QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

"Anything too stupid to be spoken is sung." - Voltaire

I was thinking about how even the shittiest music can get you where it hurts if it gets you at the right time, in the right circumstance.
I learned this when I was first falling in love with Fernando. I'd be working at my computer, listening to some middle-of-the-night-shmoopy-hits program, and I could identify with every stupid song. Case in point: this one hit wonder by Babyface's old band: "I only think of you on two occasions: That's day, and night." I remember thinking, yep, that's exactly right. And it's the reason you can't stay in that infatuated stage forever. It's EXHAUSTING.

And when it looked like, at one point, my love was unrequited, and I wasn't sure I could even continue to be friends with Fernando--then a whole other sort of love song was capable of torturing me. And Stevie Nicks had this hit on the radio at the time. To this day I rarely listen to it, cause I've got an implicit memory of despair written into my brain, triggered by the first notes. Romantic PTSD if you will.

Maybe love will change your mind
Maybe this time
Maybe love will make it clear
Oh, what words would keep you here
Maybe love will reach your heart
Thought I saw it in the dark
Maybe love will change your mind
Maybe this time

Lyrics from eLyrics.net

   

7 comments:

Skye said...

Oh yeah, those love songs, especially the unrequited or being neglected songs, used to just feed that part of me when I was infatuated or in love and things weren't going well. I still can't listen to Sinead O'Connor do "Nothing Compares 2 You".

widdershins said...

Songs do get us where we live, don't they? When Annie Lennox released her 'Diva' album I was in the 'universe has cracked and I've fallen in' stage of a relationship breakup.

... "It feels just like I'm walking on broken glass ..."

It took me years to be able to even listen to it again.

Judie said...

And hearing a song you identified with takes you right back to that moment when it touched your heart.

Judy,Judy,Judy. said...

Yep there's definitely a few songs I can't listen to because of the sadness and a few that I love listening to because of the happy memories.

Skye said...

Hey darlin'. I nominated you for a blog award. Check it out on "A Blog Award!" on my site. This is my first time actually participating in one of these. Enjoy!

London Mabel said...

@Skye - "Nothing Compares" is a killer. I can imagine being traumatized by that one. [Vair excited for my award--will check out!]

@widders - "Since you abaaaandoned meee my whole world has craaaashed" Ooh that's a good (bad) one. I only associate that album with driving around in my old car, lol.

@Judie - Yes! Just like smells do.

@JJJ - Which ones?? :-)

Ojibwe Confessions said...

Ah the love song. as a kid you the radio dictates your love songs. one of the songs was Kansas- dust in the wind. What the heck was that all about? Still a love song fanatic. only thing is, the love songs are not being dictated by the radio anymore. so i listen to love songs like i hope i don't fall in love with you. ;d

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}