QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Best rom com run ever?

Wow, I'm so shocked. The show Girls actually did all-out romance for once. Actually made me tear up with a beautifully done rom com run. Which was completely unexpected because it's a very cynical, often dark show.

[This will now contain spoilers.]

Our heroine, Hannah, got a book deal but only one month to write it, and her editor isn't liking the early pages. So she's having a break-down, OCD behavior, ruptured her ear drum, eating only Cool Whip, and not writing. Her parents won't lend her money to help, the friend she wants to turn to is incommunicado, she's hiding from her other friends (you know... the ones who won't understand how you could so fuck up your life). Finally she calls her ex-boyfriend Adam, whom I wrote about last time.

He's a recovering alcoholic, and when he sees what a mess she is (they're on facetime) he tells her to stay right there, he's coming over. All the while keeping her on the phone, he runs to the subway, and runs to her home, and when she won't get out of bed to answer the door he breaks it down.

It sounds cheesy except his character is so well defined as this intense weirdo, you know he would do something like this. You even know he could break a door down. It's believable that he'd see this as A Moment where she's about to fall over the edge, and he has to jump in and help. It may be my fave rom com run evah.

As usual the music was perfect, but I think it was composed for the show rather than a song I can share with you. So instead, here's my favorite romantic moment from the entire Sex & the City series, scored with this beautiful song "I Love NYE" by Badly Drawn Boy.

(And now I must return to the blouse I'm turning into a bag. The sewing and crochet continue!)


   

4 comments:

Skye said...

Now that sounds like an awesome rom com run! Loving and heroic and all the things romance are made of.

Robena Grant said...

Oh, oh, oh, I forgot it again. Drat. Must mark it on my calendar because that sounds exactly like what I love to watch. Got home from conference late on Sunday afternoon so never even turned on the telly. Must remedy this behavior. ; )

Judie said...

This sounds good. I'll have to see if I can find it.

London Mabel said...

But I must stress the "hipster" angle of this show. It's about messed up, self involved people, and has graphic sex (it is HBO) sometimes of the "say you're a dirty whore!" variety. It can be funny, but it's not jolly.

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}