QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Saturday, March 23, 2013

Curtains!

Sewing Project #3 - New Chair Covers - My stepmother made these chair covers back in the day, to protect the kitchen chairs from the birds. Not just their pooping, but Philea likes to chew on cloth. It's a bit hard to see in this pic, but the tops of these chair covers were destroyed...

 



In the grand tradition of Scarlett O'Hara and Maria, the covers were made from curtains, so Step-mommy commissioned me to find more.

They didn't require any fancy corners--just a rectangle that can be draped over the chair, the corners tucked in. But we also came up with a design where the top part has three layers, for Philea to chew through.


I was happy to do these cause it was good practice at just sewing straight, and learning in what order to do things, how to get more efficient.

I used a tri-shade pink thread that my coworker friend gave me. I'll call her Madame Miroir, cause a customer taught her how to say "mirror" and "fish" in French, and she's always repeating them back whenever a French customer comes in. "Miwoi! Pwussohn!"

 

____LOVE SONG OF THE DAY____

Had this song in my head today. A song can't be all wrong when it uses a term like "centrifugal motion." Also, I hope this video won a Fromage of the Year award back in the day.

   

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooooo I adore sewing one useful thing into another useful thing! The first fabric is great, so vintage and lovely. (Yes, I know, the bird poked at it, still, I like that one.)

Good job getting so much better!
Julie

Skye said...

It's great that you have opportunities to practice the craft of sewing. I think it's hilarious that the bird chews thru the fabric.

Both fabrics look cool. Good luck with the new covers.

widdershins said...

There's nothing like re-covering chairs to get a seamstress thinking in three dimensions ... nicely done!

London Mabel said...

@urthalun - Yeah the new one is kind of late 80s. But somehow looks better than the old one, I think cause there's some pink in the floor tiles.

@skye & widders - Ta!

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure my mum had a quilt cover in that second fabric. Nice job with the recovering, and smart thinking to provide layers for the bird.

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}