QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

That hippie chick sh*t

Every Monday we have some clothes on sale for a dollar. I'm trying to not go crazy buying materials, but I can't resist the occasional pattern. And then there's the 99 cent pillow cases!

My last project was this blouse I turned into a little bag.

 

It's hard to see, but I left the row of buttons on it.


And turned the sleeves into little buttoned down handles. (And I put the handles in the right direction!)


I didn't have a pattern--just winged it. Made lots of mistakes, but learned from them all. I even lined it! With other scrap material. Watched back to back episodes of Arrested Development while doing it.


(It's not un-ironed--it's the material that's ruched.)
 

Now I'm working on an owl pillow and an organizer for my car. And thinking up a wallet for Fernando. ...I can't say how at home this sewing and crocheting feels. I don't mean it comes naturally, the way writing does; but the creativity, the freedom to make a design exactly as you want, re-purposing old items... it all feels very Moi. I've always wanted to be that hippie chick who makes her own shit.

____LOVE SONGS OF THE DAYS____

Just noticed I'm short one song. Today here are two Melodramatic Fall Upon the Thorns of Life I Bleed!* songs.

I would go through all this pain
Take a bullet straight through the brain!
Yes I would die for you baby
But you won't do the same


My heart's crippled by the vein that I keep on closing
You cut me open and I keep bleeding, keep keep bleeding love
 

____
* My lit buddies and I thought the Romantics were hilarious:

As thus with thee in prayer in my sore need.
Oh! lift me as a wave, a leaf, a cloud!
I fall upon the thorns of life! I bleed!
           - Shelley
   

6 comments:

Skye said...

Wow, you have become a sewing maniac! I want to be able to make some of my own clothing and lots of my own home decor stuff. I don't currently have a sewing machine, however, and am not too into hand-sewing for such large items. It's one of those "later" things for me.

I think it is so great you are doing it and finding so much pleasure in it!

Robena Grant said...

I used to make my own clothes when I was youger. Now I save my eyes for the writing. : ) Doubt I could thread a needle on first try.
Adore the music choices.

Judy,Judy,Judy. said...

I love The Romantics.
Right now I've got Cosmic Love by Florence and the Machine on replay and I think it just might inspire a whole book.
Your sewing projects are fabulous. I have material for curtains but I haven't done the work yet.

London Mabel said...

I always suspected the key was to have the machine permanently set up somewhere. None of this storing it in the closet BS. I can't handle that.

Anonymous said...

Love that fabric for the bag...it's so happy!

London Mabel said...

Yes, I love cheerful prints!

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}